Saturday, April 23, 2011

Dinky Toys

Has anybody seen my Dinky toys? They must be around here somewhere because there were dozens of them and you can't just misplace dozens of neat little miniature cars can you? Especially when they were such a vital part of my childhood. I loved them and I took care of them - so where did they go? I can still even describe some of them for you. A green Volkswagen bug, several army trucks, a 1961 yellow Thunderbird with whitewall tires and doors that really opened, and a teal blue convertible with a tinted windshield. You don't just lose treasures like these.

Man I loved those little cars! You could buy them anywhere from five and dime stores to Mazucca's Smoke Shop. Sure they were made of die cast toxic metal and finished in several coats of lead paint - but that is what made them so durable and so real! And they had real little rubber tires - not the hard plastic ones that came later on those cheap Hot Wheels.

I looked after them - I washed them, I lined them up and counted them. I even built a little wooden shelf to display them in my room. Where did they go - I haven't seen them in about 45 years? For years I had a recurring dream about my collection of Dinky toys. In the dream I always found them safely stored away in a shoe box in a big dining room hutch that my parents owned and I would wake up almost believing it was true. Unfortunately that old hutch is long gone too...

If you are a girl you don't understand about Dinky toys, they were probably just something you stepped on in the hallway. But believe me - nothing gave more pleasure than to spend time in your bedroom or on the living room rug driving over make believe roads.

I suppose they still are for sale somewhere but now they would be considered collectors items and that would spoil the fun. Besides, I want my own Dinky toys back. So if you happen to see a shoe box of well used, well loved Dinky toys lying around, and want to see a grown man cry - just drop me a line.

4 comments:

Julie said...

We girls felt that way about our dollies.

Anonymous said...

I still have one of Woody's little cars...still in the box..! it is OLD ! after all he is 66..!..LOL
I will keep my eyes open for that long lost shoe box...probably will surface in somebody's yard sale
Jacqui

Sandy said...

Judy and I once nicked a couple of your cars and were driving them up and down our pillows. Mom caught us and we got in trouble for a) playing with cars and b) talking in bed.

Judy said...

I remember your 'collection' but have no recollection of ever touching them (despite an earlier comment I see posted here) ... I DO recollect stepping on one of those killer little cars - but I suspect that would have been one of Bobby's as yours would never have been left lying around. I will also keep my eyes wide open for any sign of your treasures. Uh what about a kid named Timmy who stayed with us once. I remember he stole your candy stash.... maybe the dinky cars went the same way mmmmm. .... Good blog; I now know how much those babies meant to you.